PrEP Resources for Patients
Deciding whether PrEP is right for you can sometimes be a difficult decision. Cares Community Health has provided a diverse resource database for a variety of patients on what PrEP is, what it does, how to pay for PrEP, its usefulness to particular communities, PrEP statistics and more so you and your health provider can make an informed decision when it comes to starting a PrEP regimen.
Are You Thinking About Whether PrEP is Right For You?
Want to Hear Personal Stories and/or Connect with Other People Currently Taking PrEP?
FAQ's About PrEP from Greater Than AIDS
Are You Figuring Out How to Talk About PrEP with Your Provider and/or Pay for PrEP?
- CDC’s “How to Talk to Your Provider About PrEP.”
- Project Inform’s “Getting Yourself Prepared for PrEP Flow Chart.”
- PrEP Facts patient-provider brochure made by San Francisco AIDS Foundation that includes patient checklist, provider checklist and potential billing codes for providers.
- Gilead’s “Guide to Paying for Truvada and other Patient Assistance.”
Gilead offers assistance for individuals based on income and health insurance status. If you have private health insurance, Gilead’s copay card will cover a yearly total of $3,600 of your medication copay with no monthly limit.
- Fair Pricing Coalition gives overview of medication and financial assistance programs.
- Patient Access Network Foundation (PAN) can help cover medication costs if financially eligible with maximum of $7,500 per year.
- How to Choose a Health Plan in Covered California for those living with HIV or seeking PrEP. ***Open enrollment is open from Nov. 1, 2015 to Jan. 31, 2016, for 2016 health coverage.
- Covered California’s 2016 Formularies includes an analysis of the availability of HIV, hepatitis B, hepatitis C and PrEP drugs on each of the 12 plans’ drug formularies and how to estimate the amounts you will have to pay for their medications.
- Gilead Advancing Access program can help answer questions if changes in your life or insurance affect your coverage.
- PrEP Access Guide from Philadelphia FIGHT and Broadway Youth Center.
Lambda Legal’s Help Desk for assistance if provider is refusing to prescribe PrEP for you, or experience difficulty obtaining health or life insurance as a result of using PrEP.
Do You Live Outside of California?
If you are looking for PrEP providers in other states beyond California, check here to see if there is one available in your area.
Here is also a sample of other existing PrEP provider directories, listed in alphabetical order:
Here are resources to available state-specific PrEP assistance programs: